Wednesday, September 11, 2013

My Son


It's a very hard thing to not be able to post a picture of your child when all you want to do is post a billboard and shout from the roof tops to show everyone what a proud momma you are, but it comes along with the adoption territory so I’ll try not to complain too much. lol I will still tell you a little about my son though because I know you are dying to hear all about him :)

 

One of the reasons I’d like to share about my son is for those prospective parents out there, for people with adoption on their hearts. International adoption can be very scary it is terrifying to review a medical report about your child and hear the phrase “high risk.” So I’d like you to take solace in what I have to say and know that God is not limited to a doctor’s diagnosis so your child can overcome the world.

 

About my son – my blessing

 

 

My little boy is getting to be a big boy very quickly; he will turn 6 next month. And how awesome is God??? I’ll tell you, my son was named "Follower of Christ". Yep the meaning of his original translated name is the best prophetic word I could hope for his life. God is so good.

 

I’d like to share a little from his medical report with you. - Status – Delayed physical and neuropsychological development, moderate mental delay, anemia, possible kidney problems and born with congenital lues (syphilis). Mental process is delayed compared to other children his age, doesn’t demonstrate imagination, is not sure footed and does not yet speak in sentences. Mother had psychopathic-like personality change.

 

This of course doesn’t cover half of it but you should get the picture thinks are quite scary. A 5 year old should be much further along than this right???

 

 See if you have done your homework about Bulgarian adoption you know that most children grow up in orphanages and that children who grow up in orphanages are often significantly further behind then children who are raised in a familial environment. You may also run across some information about a certain orphanage that is very difficult to swallow, you may watch videos or read stories that show how far behind the neglected children can get. This is the type of environment my son spent the first 4 years of his life in. Because of his diagnosis he was given very little attention from the staff and was not permitted much direct contact with the other children. He didn’t take his first steps until well into his 3rd year of life. For the next year he would be moved to a much better orphanage but still no receive much individual care outside of the therapies and doctors’ visits.  

 

BUT GOD … But see God knew what he was doing. He knew that once he had spoken the word to me that this was my son that I would know without a doubt that none of these things mattered. But God knew what he had planned for this child. BUT GOD was working on my child adjusting his situation, preparing him for what was to come J

 

In December of 2012 my son was moved into a foster home. Bulgaria is slowly transitioning into a more foster care friendly area and my son was blessed to be a part of this movement of God. I couldn’t have asked for a better foster family for my child. He is so loved and so well taken care that he has grown in leaps and bounds. The child who was only speaking random words before is a little chatter box! He loves to talk and I love the hear it, he has the cutest little voice and I’m pretty sure the Bulgarian he speaks is the most beautiful language I’ve ever heard. He repeats English exceptionally well and even uses words in the right context. He walks better and further than I do and is growing like a weed. And get this, he’s in Kindergarten and does awesome in class!! We still have plenty of challenges to face but we will face them as a family.  

 

See, the changes in children just from being moved out of the orphanages are amazing. There are reports of things like this happening all of the time. Does this mean that all of the children’s problems will disappear, no of course not … BUT GOD.  Be aware of your child’s medical diagnosis, take it seriously and learn what challenges lie ahead but please don’t limit God and don’t live in fear. Pray, pray and pray some more, recruit intercessors to pray with you, search all of heaven and talk to God every day until you receive your answer about your child from God, and when you do be at peace. God gives you his best and his love will not fail you. Trust in him, you will be so blessed when you do, struggles and all!

No comments:

Post a Comment